Christmas Countdown Day 4!
It’s Day 4 of our 20 Days of Christmas Countdown and today we have a very special offer for you. For today only you can get our Just Add Leaves natural dye kit, at a super discount of £4 against our regular selling price. In addition to your choice of natural dyestuff we will also include a free sample of marigold flowers in your parcel!
Plus, as there is plenty of dye in the kit, you can also purchase additional scarves or a cotton tote bag at a special price too!
Remember this offer will last for 24 hours only (and while stocks last so don’t delay or you might miss out!). To take advantage of the special price you must purchase the product from this page – if you use the regular product page you will be charged full price.
Create a unique, hand-printed silk scarf using natural dyestuffs and leaves gathered from your garden or hedgerow!
If you are new to natural dyeing our starter kits are an ideal way to begin. Our Just Add Leaves! kit includes your choice of natural dyestuff, mordants (fixers) for silk and animal fibres, two colour modifiers, an accessory pack and full instructions. All you need to add is some basic household equipment and water.
I designed this kit specifically for natural dyers who want to explore the fascinating technique of contact or eco-printing. This technique uses fresh leaves gathered from your garden or hedgerow that are laid on your scarf, folded/wrapped/tied and then dyed. You can also use the colour modifiers to create overlay prints, extend the colour range and produce stunning patterns on your silk scarf.
What is in the kit?
We include all the essentials to make your hand-printed scarf. Our kit includes:
- A beautiful habotai scarf
- One natural dyestuff of your choice
- 125g of aluminium potassium (alum) mordant
- 100g ferrous sulphate (colour modifier)
- 125g citric acid (for rusting found items for printing)
- 10m cotton cord (for tying for resist and for embellishing)
- Elastic bands for wrapping and resist effects
- Steel tube (for optimum results when pole wrapping)
- Accessory pack of gloves and a measuring spoon
- A comprehensive instruction booklet written by Debbie specially for this kit
You can achieve lots of colours from your kit but to extend your experiments combine or mix your dyestuff with our natural extracts (available separately) to create rich, vibrant shades, pastels and muted tones.
Who is this kit suitable for?
I’ve designed this kit to suit a complete beginner as well as offering lots of scope for experimentation for more experienced dyers.
What else will I need?
Just some basic equipment most of which you may already have. Please note that any utensils/dishes used for dyeing should not be used for cooking food afterwards:
- A pan, dish, bucket or oven tray for dyeing your scarf
- Clingfilm or plastic to wrap your scarf in to fix
- Cloths and something to cover surfaces
- A couple of plastic beakers (or old cups) for mixing dyes
- Stirring spoon or stick
- Measuring jug
- Optional items:
• Small objects like marbles, pebbles, bottle caps, for tying string round to create interesting shapes
• Notebook – for recording your methods and results for use in future projects