If you are new to natural dyeing our starter kits are an ideal way to begin. Our Natural Dyestuffs kit includes a selection of natural dyestuffs, mordants (fixers) for both animal and plant fibres, colour modifiers, an accessory pack and full instructions. All you need to add is some basic household equipment and water.
I designed this kit specifically for natural dyers who want to go right back to basics, working from raw (dried) dyestuffs to produce vibrant, rich shades that span the colour spectrum.
In your kit you will find 4 wonderful natural dyestuffs that can be combined or mixed with our natural extracts (available separately) to create rich, vibrant shades, pastels and muted tones. You could even add plants from your garden to give your work the personal touch!
In your kit you will find:
- 100g madder root (reds/oranges/browns)
- 100g fustic chips (yellows/ochres/golds/khakis)
- 100g logwood chips (purple/lavender/lilac/greys/black)
- 25g cochineal bugs (pinks/rose/burgundy/coral)
- 125g aluminium potassium sulphate (alum) – mordant/fixer
- 25g aluminium acetate – mordant/fixer
- 100g ferrous sulphate – colour modifier
- Vinyl gloves, measuring spoon
- My comprehensive instruction booklet
With these dyestuffs you can make a wide range of colours with enough mordant (fixer) to dye over 1kg of protein (animal) fibre/yarn/fabric and 500g cellulose (plant) fibres. The dyestuffs will go much further and you can order extra alum too. And of course, you’re not limited to the colours as they come – your kit will produce hundreds of different shades and colour combinations!