If you are new to natural dyeing our starter kits are an ideal way to begin. Our Just Add Leaves! kit includes your choice of natural dyestuff, mordants (fixers) for silk and animal fibres, two colour modifiers, an accessory pack and full instructions. All you need to add is some basic household equipment and water.
I designed this kit specifically for natural dyers who want to explore the fascinating technique of contact or eco-printing. This technique uses fresh leaves gathered from your garden or hedgerow that are laid on your scarf, folded/wrapped/tied and then dyed. You can also use the colour modifiers to create overlay prints, extend the colour range and produce stunning patterns on your silk scarf.
Your kit includes:
- A beautiful habotai scarf
- One natural dyestuff of your choice
- 125g of aluminium potassium (alum) mordant
- 100g ferrous sulphate (colour modifier)
- 125g citric acid (for rusting found items for printing)
- 10m cotton cord (for tying for resist and for embellishing)
- Elastic bands for wrapping and resist effects
- Steel tube (for optimum results when pole wrapping)
- Accessory pack of gloves and a measuring spoon
- A comprehensive instruction booklet written by Debbie specially for this kit
You can achieve lots of colours from your kit but to extend your experiments combine or mix your dyestuff with our natural extracts (available separately) to create rich, vibrant shades, pastels and muted tones.