Introduction to Indigo dyeing on fabric – Online workshop
Experience Nature’s Beautiful Blues in this online workshop with dye expert Debbie Tomkies.
In this workshop Debbie will be showing you how to set up a simple dye vat using sodium carbonate (soda ash) and thiourea dioxide (spectralite). This reliable, easy to use vat can be created easily at home with our Natural Indigo starter kit and some basic equipment. Debbie will be showing you how to prepare fabric for dyeing, some simple tie-dye techniques, how to dye your fabric, building up colour, finishing and a brief look at overdyeing.
How does the session work?
You can choose to watch the session live and dye-a-long with Debbie. Alternatively, watch live with your feet up and a cuppa and have a go later. The recording will be available for 30 days after the event for you to watch at your leisure.
Who is this course suitable for?
- This event is suitable for complete beginners as well as those who want to brush up their skills or just enjoy a couple of hours indigo dyeing!
What will I learn?
- How to set up and maintain a simple indigo vat
- Preparing your fabric for dyeing
- The essential principles of indigo dyeing
- What vat dyeing is and how it works
- What can be dyed in an indigo vat
- A brief look at overdyeing
- A selection of simple tie-dyeing techniques on fabric
What will I need?
- We recommend our Natural indigo starter kit which contains all the ingredients you’ll need as well as our accompanying full instruction booklet
- Alternatively, please our free downloadable guide sets out what materials and equipment you will need. Most of the equipment is easily obtainable from the local supermarket or DIY shop (Wilko and B&M are our favourites in the UK!) but please make sure anything you use isn’t used for food afterwards
Share this event with friends!